Recipe by saleegurl
Delicious, hearty, and healthy soup! From Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. The original recipe calls for 2 T. butter instead of olive oil. And if I have a rind of parmesan leftover, I'll throw it in while it's simmering...but it's very tasty w/o.
- 1 cup sliced leeks or 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup green sweet pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 29 ounces chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked chicken or 1 1⁄2 cups turkey
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots (3 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 14 1⁄2 ounces tomatoes, cut up
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan cook leeks or onion, sweet pepper, and garlic in olive oil till tender. Stir in broth, water, lentils, basil, oregano, rosemary , and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken carrots, and uncooked barley. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes more or just till the carrots are tender. Add the undrained tomatoes; heat through.