The Good News - there may not be any clinical proof that ginger helps fight colds or the flu! Add the fact that chicken soup is Jewish Penicillin! This supereasy gingery chicken soup will undeniably make you feel fantastic! It is healthy & can be made ahead of time. Food & Wine Magazine, recipe by Mai Pham, March 2005 edition. From Episode: Ginger. Yesterday, I made a batch for my friend Vicky and took it over to her house and she welcomed it with open arms and today she is here at work! Just thought I'd mention it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon jasmine rice, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 3 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon asian fish sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (only if you choose) (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 lemon, juice of (squeeze a little at a time)
- 1In a medium saucepan, cover the rice with the water; bring to a boil over high heat.
- 2Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender and porridgelike, about 25 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, cut the piece of ginger into slivers: thinly slice the ginger crosswise; stack the slices, removing the bottom rounded slice, so the stack is stable and easy to work with; cut the slices lengthwise into thin slivers.
- 4Add the chicken stock, fish sauce, salt, sugar, & red pepper flakes(if using) to the rice, bring to a simmer and continue cooking over low heat for 10 minutes.
- 5Stir in half of the ginger and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
- 6Squeeze some lemon juice in the soup!
- 7Ladle the soup into shallow bowls, garnish with the shredded chicken, sliced scallions, chopped cilantro and the remaining slivered ginger and serve.
- 8*The recipe can be made through until adding the chicken etc., and refrigerated overnight.
- 9When reheating, add extra stock to adjust the consistency.
- 10Serve at once.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Soup With Jasmine Rice and Ginger
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.5
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 13.1 mg
- Sodium 460.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: