Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
My family really enjoys chicken soups, and they are always eager to try a new recipe. This soup is lower in fat, especially if you use 98% or fat-free stock. Please taste as you prepare, and add any additional seasonings or more of those listed to suit your taste.
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 946.36 ml chicken stock (reduced fat or low sodium can be used)
- 473.18 ml water
- 354.88 ml chopped carrots
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml dried thyme
- 1.23 ml dried basil
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 473.18 ml cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 118.29 ml uncooked orzo pasta
- 59.14 ml white wine
- 29.58 ml finely chopped fennel leaves
- In a soup kettle, saute fennel bulb and onion in oil until fennel is softened.
- Add the next seven ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, orzo and wine.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Stir in fennel fronds.
A nice change from regular noodle soup. The fennel bulb gives this a nice flavor. I also added a handful of chopped mushrooms that needed using. Will be making this again. Made for Spring 2012 Pick a Chef game.