Recipe by Graciebonica
My family really enjoys chicken soups, and they are always eager to try a new recipe. This soup is lower in fat, especially if you use 98% or fat-free stock. Please taste as you prepare, and add any additional seasonings or more of those listed to suit your taste.
Top Review by Outta Here
A nice change from regular noodle soup. The fennel bulb gives this a nice flavor. I also added a handful of chopped mushrooms that needed using. Will be making this again. Made for Spring 2012 Pick a Chef game.
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock (reduced fat or low sodium can be used)
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup kettle, saute fennel bulb and onion in oil until fennel is softened.
- Add the next seven ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, orzo and wine.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Stir in fennel fronds.