1/3 Photos of Chicken Soup With Asparagus and Rice
This was an experiment that turned into a pleasant surprise. I started with a recipe from the Zuni Cafe Cookbook and added a few ingredients for taste and color and increased the quantity for my hungry family. It requires some chopping but comes together rather quickly and is very tasty! (Made in the Midwest with Michigan Asparagus:)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a stockpot, saute the diced onion, celery and carrot in 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil, until the onions are translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
- 2Stir in the rice and add the chicken stock.
- 3Bring the stock to a simmer, cover and cook on low until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, wash the asparagus and trim off the woody ends. (Throw them away or use them to make vegetable stock for another recipe.).
- 5Slice the asparagus in 1-inch lengths on the bias, collecting the tips separately (because they cook very quickly and will be added last).
- 6Heat the remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet.
- 7Saute the pancetta and asparagus pieces (not the tips yet) about 5 minutes, stirring as needed. The idea is to soften the asparagus but not cook it entirely.
- 8Add the asparagus tips and saute an additional minute.
- 9When the rice in the stock pot is tender, add the lemon juice, diced chicken, and the pancetta/aspargus mixture.
- 10Bring to a boil; remove from heat.
- 11Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Soup With Asparagus and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.8
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 10.8 mg
- Sodium 538.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 12.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: