My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- 2Melt the butter over medium heat in a saute pan just large enough to hold the chicken.
- 3Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook for about eight minutes over medium heat.
- 4If the butter in the pan starts to brown, lower the heat slightly.
- 5Turn the chicken and light saute in the same way for five minutes more.
- 6Remove the chicken from the pan and place it in a bowl.
- 7If the butter in the saute pan has burned, pour it out and replace it with two tablespoons fresh butter.
- 8Add the leeks and cook them for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- 9Stir the leeks every couple of minutes.
- 10They should be soft but not brown.
- 11Put the chicken back in the pan with the leeks.
- 12Add the apples, apple juice, vinegar and broth.
- 13Bring the liquids to a slow simmer and with a ladle skim off any fat or froth that floats to the top.
- 14Cover the pot and simmer the chicken very gently for 10-15 minutes , until it is completely cooked.
- 15Remove the chicken and let it cool.
- 16Remove and discard the skin and pull the meat away from the bones.
- 17Cut the meat into half inch chunks.
- 18Use a ladle to skim off any fat that has formed on the surface of the liquid in a saute pan.
- 19Add the Calvados and the heavy cream.
- 20Bring to a simmer and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 21Heat the chunks of chicken in the soup for two minutes and serve immediately in hot bowls.
- 22Suggestions and variations: Try adding a cup of sliced mushrooms along with the apples.
- 23The mushroom flavor goes well with the other ingredients, and the mushrooms make the soup more substantial.
- 24This soup is also delicious with curry, which can be added by gently cooking a tb of curry powder in a tb of butter and stirring it into the soup shortly before serving.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Soup W/ Apples And Leeks
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.3
- Calories from Fat 289
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 145.7 mg
- Sodium 297.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 32.7 g