Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
The verde part of the soup comes from the green vegetables in it - asparagus, peas and green onions.
- 6 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16 thin asparagus spears, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 cup freshly shelled peas or 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- Bring broth and wine to a boil in a heavy large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add chicken asparagus and peas.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is almost cooked through and vegetables are crisp tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add green onions and marjoram.
- Simmer until chicken is cooked through and flavours blend, about 2 minutes longer.
- Can be prepared a day in advance.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Bring to a simmer before continuing.
- Mix 1/2 cup parmesan cheese into soup; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with remaining cheese.
We really liked this. I didn't have marjoram, so I added a little basil and oregano to compensate. This is a different, easy, and GREAT chicken soup recipe. My daughter's home sick today, and she absolutely loved this. Thanks so much!