Recipe by Luvfood
This is such a flavour packed stock. The aroma's are divine. The recipe came from Chef Tyler Florence on the Food Network. You can make this stock and make a few different variations. I will eventually post all the recipes! I use the extra chicken for burritos. Two meals in one.
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) free-range whole chickens, rinsed, giblets discarded
- 1 chicken back
- 2 carrots, cut in large chunks
- 3 celery ribs, cut in large chunks
- 2 large white onions, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 1 turnip, halved
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken and vegetables in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Pour in only enough cold water to cover (about 10 cups); too much will make the broth taste weak.
- Toss in the thyme, bay leaves, and peppercorns, and allow it to slowly come to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and gently simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, partially covered, until the chicken is done. As it cooks, skim any impurities that rise to the surface; add a little more water if necessary to keep the chicken covered while simmering.
- Carefully remove the chicken to a cutting board. When its cool enough to handle, discard the skin and bones; chop the meat into a storage container.
- Carefully strain the stock through a fine sieve into another pot to remove the vegetable solids.
- Use the stock immediately or if you plan on storing it, place the pot in a sink full of ice water and stir to cool down the stock.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to one week or freeze.