This is a delicious, comforting soup that comes together quickly -- under 30 minutes! I especially love to make it when someone in the family is feeling under the weather. Serve with a nice crusty bread and this makes a filling lunch or a light dinner. I discovered it in one of those "cooking for 2" recipe booklets shortly after DH and I married and have made it many times since then.
- 1⁄2 lb chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 14 ounces low sodium chicken broth (I use homemade)
- basil, to taste
- oregano, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces angel hair pasta, broken in half (sometimes I use egg noodles, too. Use whatever you have.)
- crushed cracker
- parmesan cheese
- Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in saucepan.
- Saute chicken, onion, celery, carrots (if using), and garlic about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, and seasonings.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, stir in pasta.
- Simmer 'til noodles are tender, chicken is cooked through, and veggies are soft. (about 5-10 minutes).
- If desired, sprinkle individual servings with toppings.