Prep 30 mins
Cook 36 mins
This soup is good for what ails you! If you want, you can substitute pre-cooked chicken and reduce the cooking time in step 3 by 2 minutes. Anyway you make it, it is quick and easy, but very satisfying!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored seeded, and diced
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 3⁄4 cups basic chicken stock, I use Basic Chicken Stock
- 6 ounces broad egg noodles
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat for 1 minute. Add the onion and saute until limp, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Stir in the red and green peppers. Cover, and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and marjoram, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles, cover, and boil for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and salt, reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked. Enjoy!
Really good soup! As bluemoon stated, the directions are very easy to follow. Instead of using chicken though, I did sub in leftover Thanksgiving turkey. My DH can't stand zucchini, well guess what he ate tonight?! He didn't even know! That definitely makes this recipe a 5 star! Thanks for posting! Made for the December Photo Tag Game.
This recipe couldn't be easier to follow. I got all the ingredients ready and just threw them in one after the other when it was time to add them. Except for the reference to tomato sauce in the directions - which wasn't listed in the ingredients. I simply added a can of diced tomatoes at that point, and then reduced the chicken stock to more like 31/2 cups. And I also added 1/2 cup of merlot. As well as the marjoram, I added several grindings of a rosemary and sage blend that I'm adding to - and just SO enjoying as it's such a great blend - most recipes at the moment... well, where it's appropriate! This was a flavoursome and very filling soup which we enjoyed with crusty rolls. Made for Newest Zaar Tag. Thank you for sharing this recipe, breezermom!