Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I make this especially when someone is coming down with a cold or sore throat. The longer it cooks the better.
- 6 -8 cups water
- 4 -5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- Cut up the chicken or turkey.
- Chop the onion, slice the mushrooms.
- Put all the ingredients, except for the tomatoes& barley in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for@30 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Simmer for@1 hour.
- Add barley.
- Simmer for@1hour.
Mark and I are both down with a cold, and this soup was wonderful. It felt really good going down on a sore throat. The flavor was terrific. I know that I'll be making this again!