Recipe by MrsSPheonix
This is one I made up when I first had my crock pot. You really could make it with whatever you had on hand. Filling and satisfying.
Top Review by I'mPat
WOW you must have a humungous crock pot - I printed out as a 4-5 servings recipe and still there was no way I could have fit it all into my crock pot. Wasn't going to add the capsicum (sweet pepper) but also didn't add the onion or celery, due to DH's allergy problems and they would not have fitted in anyway. Only added 1 zuchinni and had to scale right back on the spinach (fresh), red cabbage, brocolli and fresh beans to 1/4 or 1/3 of specified amounts. Used 2 cups of fresh chicken consomme' and 1 cup of water and 1/2 kilo of skinned boneless chicken thighes and fresh oregano leaves torn and frozen corn kernels. DM said it was a thin stew, not a soup but we enjoyed - thank you MrsSPheonix, will make again but scale it back to 3 or less serves to fit the my crock pot. What I did cook I think could have fed 6 to 8 people as a meal with crusty bread (maybe original recipe could be changed to 12 to 16 serves). Made for Recipe September #9 - October 2007.
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves
- 6 large carrots, peeled & sliced
- 1 head celery, sliced
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, more to taste
- 1 (475 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 head broccoli, chopped or 1 (14 ounce) package frozen broccoli
- 2 cups fresh green beans (not frozen)
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach or 2 (9 ounce) packages fresh spinach
- 1 small red cabbage
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn kernels
- 1 sweet pepper (red or green)
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 2 (475 g) cans kidney beans or 2 (475 g) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste (only if needed, as the chicken cubes are salty)
- 6 cups water (as needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- I didn't measure the oregano, so you may need more or less to taste.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with oregano and pepper.
- Put everything in the crock pot with potatoes and carrots on the bottom and the chicken on the top.
- Add 2-3 cups of water.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken, cool, shred and return to pot.
- Stir to distribute chicken evenly.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Add more water if too thick.
- Heat until very hot and serve with toast or crusty bread.