Southern Polar Bear's Note:
Just what the doctor ordered!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium leeks, finely dice the white part only
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken stock (homemade or good quality)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 whole chicken breasts, skinned and boned
- 8 medium white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups cooked thin egg noodles
- 4 ounces green beans, ends trimmed off and cut on the diagonal
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1Cook the egg noodles until al dente.
- 2Drain the water from the noodles and coat in olive oil to prevent sticking.
- 3Set the noodles aside.
- 4Melt butter in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-low heat.
- 5Add 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 6Add leeks, carrots, celery, salt, and pepper.
- 7Cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Heat the chicken stock and wine in a second large saucepan to boiling.
- 10Add the chicken breasts.
- 11Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- 12Remove the chicken breasts, let cool, and then shred.
- 13Add the stock, green beans, mushrooms, to the vegetables.
- 14Simmer uncovered over low heat for 10 minutes.
- 15Taste the green beans to make sure they are tender, cook longer if necessary.
- 16Add the cooked noodles and shredded chicken.
- 17Cook for about 5 minutes.
- 18Add the chopped parsley and stir well.
- 19Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Soup for the Cold
Serving Size: 1 (1025 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 871.0
- Calories from Fat 422
- Total Fat 46.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 157.2 mg
- Sodium 1969.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 51.1 g