Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Try this to cure those winter colds. Spicy and delicious
- 15 chicken backs or 1 whole chicken
- 3 carrots, chunked
- 1 head garlic
- 2 medium yellow onions or 2 medium white onions
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oregano
- 2 dried poblano chiles, whole
- 3 fresh serrano peppers or 3 habaneros or 3 japanese chilies, chopped fine
- 1 lb letter shaped or naughty pasta
- 1 large sweet potato
- 10 inches burdock root, peeled and chunked
- Take the chicken backs, rinse them off. Stick them into your soup pot, covered by at least three inches of water. Put the lid on, turn on the stove to high.
- While waiting for that to start boiling, cut one of the onions in half, toss it in the pot too, with some cloves of garlic and the poblanos. Once it boils, leave it to simmer for an hour and a half or two hours.
- While you're waiting on the broth to cook down, you want to take your onions and cut them into 1cm by 1cm bits, carrots little cubes are nice, so are slices, same with sweet potato, peel and slice the garlic. Prepare any other veggies you like. When the broth is ready (taste it), and remember to check on it every twenty minutes, you don't want it to boil away and scorch your pot. You want to remove all the solids from the broth. This can be done in two ways. Use a sieve and pour the whole thing into another pot, and the sieve catches the solids, Or you can fish around in the pot with a giant slotted spoon. If you want you can pull any remaining meat off the bones of the chicken and throw them into the broth, or just throw it all out.
- Add your pasta and wait for it to come to a boil again. Then you wanna add 2/3 of your remaining onions and garlic, and your vegetables, starting from the hardest vegetable (burdock root) and work your way to the softest vegetable. How it works is that you add one, wait for the soup start to boil again, ponder something for a minute or two, add the next vegetable, ponder etc. After you add the last veggie, taste the soup, and salt it. One minute before you turn off the soup, add the last of the onions, garlic, and the fresh chilies, which should be chopped into the smallest pieces possible. They are added at the beginning and middle for flavor, but added at the end for the medical boost they give your immune system.