Recipe by Sharlene~W
Very tasty soup. Basil and chicken soup were meant for each other. For an easy change of pace, try the Chicken Pot Pie variation at the bottom!
Top Review by Andrea
Very good chicken soup. I tried it in a flat casserole dish with biscuits on top and loved it. The basil is nice in chicken soup. This is the second of your recipies I have tried and I have loved them both.
- 3 lbs whole chickens
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper
- 3 boiling potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh basil leaf, finely shredded (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken in large pot until done.
- Cool chicken, remove skin and debone.
- Cut into bite-size pieces.
- De-fat and strain stock.
- Return stock to large pot.
- Add chicken, vegetables, salt, pepper and basil.
- Cook until vegetables are done (15- 20 minutes).
- Mix cornstarch with 1/2 cup water.
- Add to soup to thicken slightly.
- For an easy Chicken Pot Pie: Pour finished soup into large casserole and top with rolled biscuits dipped in butter. (I use Bisquick mix to make it very quick and easy).
- Bake at 425°F for about 15 minutes until biscuits are done.