1/1 Photo of Chicken Soup and Homemade Noodles
1 hr 30 mins
This is a wonderful homemade chicken soup with a light delicate flavor. My kids LOVE the chewy homemade noodles but you can use egg noodles to save time. This recipe takes time to prepare, but it's worth the effort!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 lbs frying chicken, cut up
- 10 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
Basic Noodles (or 2 cups wide egg noodles)
- 1In a 5 qt Dutch oven, combine chicken and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- 2Now is a good time to mix the noodles.
- 3Basic Noodles: Lightly spoon flour into a measuring cup and level off. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; blend well. Make a well in the center. Add water, oil, and egg. Gradually work the flour into the liquid to form a dough. On a floured surface, knead the dough 2-3 minutes. Wrap the dough in a plastic bag and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- 4Once the chicken has simmered 15 minutes, skim off any scum that has risen to the surface. Add bouillon cubes, 1/2 cup onion, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Simmer an additional 35 to 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- 5Remove chicken from the broth to remove the meat from the bones; cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Skim the fat from the broth. Return chicken to the pot. Stir in celery, carrots, and 1/4 cup onion. Simmer 15 minutes or until the carrots are tender crisp.
- 6If you are making your own noodles:.
- 7While the vegetables are cooking; on a floured surface, roll out the noodle dough as thin as possible keeping the dough in a rectangular shape. Slice the dough into 1/4 inch slices into the length that you want. Hint: fold the rolled dough into thirds and slice through the thickness to save time.
- 8Once the carrots are tender crisp, remove the bay leaf. Bring the soup back to a boil. Drop noodles into boiling soup. Cook uncovered 5 - 10 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Soup and Homemade Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (580 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.8
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 148.3 mg
- Sodium 1013.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 33.5 g