Recipe by L DJ
Hearty chicken soup with savory dumplings
Top Review by Aroostook
Loved the dumplings and will be sure to make these again. I thought a bit of flavor was missing from the chicken stock. If I were to make this again, I think I would prefer to use skinless bone-in chicken. I want to try this again!!
- 12 ounces boneless chicken breasts, cut in strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coursely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 packaged biscuit mix
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan stir in chicken cook til no longer pink add onions.
- cook til onions are wilted, add garlic and pimento, Sprinkle flour and thyme over chicken, toss lightly.
- Stir in broth, vegetables, and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combine biscuit mix, cornmeal, basil, chives and cheese.
- Stir in water just until mixture is moistened.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls onto hot liquid, making 8 dumplings.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes.
- until dumplings test done (Do not lift cover while simmering; check after about 10 minutes).