Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
It's been proven...chicken soup is good when you're under the weather. So why not include it as part of a 'Feel Better Soon' gift basket. Add a book, a big soup mug and a pair of warm fuzzy socks. With this gift, and your good wishes, they'll be feeling better in no time. Created for the 2010 Category Craze-E Contest.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1⁄4 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 40 linguine, strands (broken into 1-inch lengths)
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup zucchini, grated
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup whole kernel corn
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add chicken drumsticks. Bring back up to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Boil gently for 20 minutes, or until the meat is thoroughly cooked. Remove the meat and set aside.
- Bring broth back up to boil and add the lentils, onion, poultry seasoning and black pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add linguine, carrots, zucchini and salt, if using. Boil gently until pasta is tender.
- Add cut chicken and corn. Heat through and serve.
This was perfect for after Thanksgiving. I utilized meat from the turkey drumsticks & homemade broth. I loved the use of poultry seasoning. All in all a great pot of soup! Good luck in the contest! :-)
Great Comfort food! I didn`t remove the skin till after 20 minutes of cooking the legs then discarded. MORE FLAVOR! Then found the chicken not to be cooked which is fine because it continued after adding back. I removed the meat and added the bones back to the broth. That is were you`ll find lots of flavor. Let it simmer with an additional 1 cup water for 20 minutes to extract all the goodness the bones has to offer. Removed the bones then added lentils, onions and using 1 teaspoon seasonings. I also did up the corn. zukes, and carrots by twice the amount. Because they are good for you! When adding the veggies I added the chicken back to complete the cooking. Tossed in some roasted garlic and a bunch of parsley and we enjoyed. This will give you comfort with whatever ails you. Thank you! Made for Craze-E-Contest Nov 2010.
This is a lovely soup. It is a little fiddly if you start with fresh drumsticks, making it a perfect recipe for using up leftovers (as the previous reviewer did). The flavour is spot-on. Thanks so much and good luck.