Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A casserole I have been making for years.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box corn muffin mix
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 tablespoons canned green chilies
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Melt butter and saute onion and garlic. Set aside.
- Combine corns, salt and egg. Beat in muffin mix. Fold in butter mixture. Pour into greased casserole dish.
- Combine chicken, chiles, sour cream, salt and pepper. Spread over corn mix, leaving 1/2 inch border around edges. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
I made this to bring to a Cinco de Mayo party. It was a big hit. I sat next to a woman who didn't know I brought it who said " this chicken dish is delicious!" . I told her I made it and she immediately asked for the recipe. As I was leaving a woman I didn't know stopped me and asked if I had made the chicken cornbread dish. She said it was the best casserole she had ever had. The changes I made was subbed black olives for mushrooms and added the rest of a 4 oz can of chopped chilis to the bread mix. I also gave the sour cream topping a few good shakes of cumin. I used two cans of chicken which I shredded. Thanks for making me look good. Will definitely make this again!
So very easy to put together, and looked good enough for company! I do think that 6 servings is a very conservative figure, however. I served four with this recipe with a simple salad, and had enough left over to serve four more! Thnx for sharing your recipe, AzMama.
Made as directed for PAC, Fall '09. Loved the contrast between the corn muffin layer and chicken/sour cream mixture. Have passed on the recipe to my kids/grandkids. I know they'll enjoy it also. Glad I tried this one. Thanks Mama