Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I think next time I'd try only one can of tomatoes. We couldn't taste the peanut butter and had a zillion tomato pieces left over. Without rice or barley, each serving has 273 calories, 32 g protein, 17 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat (2 g sat fat), and 5 g fiber
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and juices reserved
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- hot cooked brown rice or cooked barley
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick spray and warm over med-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or til softened.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook 3-4 minutes on each side or til browned.
- Meanwhile in a blender combine the reserved tomato juice, salt, paprika, pepper, peanut butter, cilantro, garlic, and red-pepper flakes.
- Blend til smooth.
- Pour over the chicken and add the tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduced heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. Serve over rice or barley.
This is so delicious! We only used one-quarter of the amount of chicken it called for because that's all we had, but it was just fine with that amount. Definitely a keeper. Thanks for posting.
We are making this AGAIN! This is great and everyone should have this recipe (that is not allergic to peanuts). I would suggest to edit the recipe to 1 can of tomatoes. Other than that this is a 5 Star recipe!