1 hr 30 mins
Luby Luby Luby's Note:
This recipe comes from a book called "Louisiana Real and Rustic by Emeril Lagasse and Marcelle Bienvenu. You can serve it over rice or noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs large fryer, cut into serving pieces (about)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup thinly sliced bell pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup young sweet peas
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- cooked rice, for serving
- 1In mixing bowl, toss the chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and flour.
- 2In large heavy pot heat oil over medium high heat.
- 3When hot, but not smoking, add the chicken and brown, cooking for about 6 to 8 minutes on each side.
- 4Remove and set aside.
- 5Add the onions and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cayenne.
- 6Stirring constantly, wilt and brown the onions, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned particles, about 10 minutes.
- 7Add the bell pepper and bay leaf.
- 8Continue stirring, again scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned particles for about 15 minutes.
- 9Add the water and the chicken, cover and reduce heat to medium.
- 10Stir occasionally and cook for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- 11Add the corn, peas and mushrooms, cover and cook for 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- 12Add the parsley.
- 13Remove the bay leaf and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Smothered in Onions
Serving Size: 1 (709 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1195.5
- Calories from Fat 670
- Total Fat 74.5 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 297.9 mg
- Sodium 1589.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 81.5 g