1 hr 5 mins
This is for onion lovers!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can canned corn niblets, drained
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- salt and black pepper
- 1In a shallow dish mix together the flour with seasoning salt, cayenne and garlic powder.
- 2Toss/coat the chicken pieces well on all sides with flour mixture.
- 3Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven (I use my large electric frypan for this).
- 4Add in the coated chicken pieces and brown on both sides (about 6-8 minutes per side).
- 5Add in sliced onions (leave the chicken pieces in the Dutch oven do not remove to a plate) stirring constantly until wilted and browned.
- 6Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits; saute the onions for about 10 minutes, adding in the minced garlic the last 3 minutes of sauteeing.
- 7Season with salt and more cayenne pepper or black pepper.
- 8Add in bell pepper and bay leaf; continue stirring for another 10 minutes.
- 9Add in chicken broth; cover and reduce heat to medium.
- 10Cook for about 30 minutes more or until the chicken pieces are cooked and tender.
- 11Add in corn, peas and mushrooms; cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the veggies are heated through completely.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Smothered in Onions
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1090.5
- Calories from Fat 614
- Total Fat 68.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 243.8 mg
- Sodium 561.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 67.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: