Recipe by MizzNezz
Very hearty main dish that is also easy on the budget.
Top Review by Musical Joy
When I saw that this was another recipe from Inez, I had to try it (I love your recipes)! I wasn't disappointed. I cut 4 boneless, skinless breasts into thirds, then made the recipe that way. Only reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 5, was that it was salty (soy sauce). When I make it again, I'll cut the soy in half, or plan to use reduced sodium soy sauce instead. I made the gravy, but didn't need it - the chicken was so moist. We did have Texas Toast w/it to sop up some of the juice. Very yummy!
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 frying chicken, cut up
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 medium potatoes, cut in pieces
- 3 carrots, cut in slices
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour with garlic powder and pepper; coat chicken pieces, reserve remaining flour mix.
- In lg skillet, cook chicken in hot oil until browned.
- Mix 1-1/4 cup water, soy sauce, and oregano.
- Pour over chicken.
- Add vegetables.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken and vegetables.
- Mix reserved flour with remaining water until smooth.
- Add to pan, bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened and bubbly.
- Serve with the chicken.