Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A spicy, fun way to dress up the boneless skinless chicken breasts we always have on hand. These work as a main dish for a weeknight meal, or a different appetizer or snack for a casual party.
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 inch piece lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili sauce (like Sriracha)
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 bamboo skewers
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a food processor and mix. Thin as needed with a little water or rice vinegar, just until sauce is smooth. It will be very thick at this stage. This is okay!
- Cut each chicken breast lengthwise into four strips. Toss strips with lime juice, soy sauce, vinegar and cardamom. Allow to sit in this mixture for about an hour.
- Preheat grill or broiler, and cook chicken until done and lightly browned.
- Warm sauce in a small saucepan, and drizzle over cooked chicken, or serve on the side for dipping.
With only one exception, I pretty much followed the recipe on this ~ I did, however, make only half a recipe & included just 1 teaspoon of the chili sauce! We loved the taste of this unusual chicken dish, & the next time I'll be making this recipe as appetizers for a monthly group that I host! Thanks for posting it! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]
This was really good and my whole family enjoyed it a lot. There was one step that was missed, even though it was easy to figure out - skewering the chicken! :) I didn't use lemongrass because I didn't want to go out just to buy that. I also don't have cardamom or cilantro because I don't like them. My sauce wasn't too thick after I heated it, in fact it was perfect. I put it in the microwave on low for a few seconds and it was just right. Maybe if I used the other ingredients, it would have been different. Taking a vote here, it warranted 4.5 stars, but since I can't do that and there was a step missing, I thought 4 stars were fair. Thanks!
This smelled great while I was mixing everything together. I loved the flavors of the sauce but it wouldn't get smooth even when heated in the saucepan. I added more vinegar and sriracha chili sauce but I didn't want to add too much and dilute the flavors plus I wanted to prepare this as written because I was reviewing it for the RSC contest#13. So next time, I would lessen the peanut butter and add more liquid to give a dipping quality to the sauce. The cardamom was an interesting flavor on the chicken but one I would leave off if I made these again. I would have liked the cilantro to come through a little more so I would add more of that next time. Had fun making these, thanks!!