1/3 Photos of Chicken Simmered in Red Chile Sauce
Recipe adapted from Robert Del Grande
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 dried red chilies (such as Guajillo or New Mexican Red)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro stem
- 1Preheat oven to 350º.
- 2Heat olive oil in frying pan and brown chicken breasts on both sides.
- 3Remove from pan and place in oven proof baking dish.
- 4Open dried chiles, remove and discard seeds and stem.
- 5(Seeds are removed to prevent burning) Cut chiles into pieces.
- 6Melt butter in frying pan.
- 7Lightly sauté chiles in butter.
- 8Add chopped onions and garlic.
- 9Tear tortillas into pieces and add to pan.
- 10(The tortillas help to thicken sauce.) Sauté until ingredients are lightly browned.
- 11Add chicken stock and salt and simmer until ingredients are soft.
- 12Remove from heat and cool sauce to room temperature.
- 13Transfer cooled sauce to blender and blend until smooth.
- 14Pour sauce over chicken breasts.
- 15Bake at 350º for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is done.
- 16Remove from oven, top with shredded jack cheese and garnish with sprigs of cilantro.
- 17Bake a few additional minutes to melt cheese if necessary.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Simmered in Red Chile Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.6
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 98.9 mg
- Sodium 912.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 34.4 g