Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
How to make a greek shwarma fuse with canadian!! this is delicious From the calgary sun, this took first place in the Great Chefs City Salads contest by Eileen Campbell. the dressing used was Renee's Gourmet sweet onion vinaigrette. Time does not include marinade of 1-4 hours
Shawarma Spice Blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup sweet onion vinaigrette, divided
- 1 large apple, cored and sliced in 8 rings
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup, divided
- 8 ounces Baby Spinach (1 bag but i dont have one here to be sure of size so guessed)
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1⁄2 cup shredded white aged cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pecan halves
- 1⁄4 cup fresh blueberries
- Shawarma Spice Blend: In a bowl combine cinnamon, salt, pepper, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom.
- n a shallow glass dish, combine chicken breasts with 1/2 cup of the sweet onion vinaigrette. Marinate in the fridge for 1 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken with Shawarma spice blend to coat lightly. Grill or broil chicken for 4 to 6 minutes per side or until chicken is no longer pink in centre. Set aside to cool; cut in diagonal strips.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook apple rings in 1/4c maple syrup until softened and slightly caramelized. Remove to a rack and cool.
- Toss pecans with remaining 1/4 cup maple syrup and place on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven, stirring often, for 12 to 15 minutes or until toasted and glazed. Cool.
- Divide spinach among 4 plates. Top with onion rings, shredded cheese, pecans, blueberries, apple rings and sliced chicken. Drizzle salads with remaining 1/2 cup sweet onion vinaigrette.
This recipe makes for a very nice tasting, definitely unusual salad, & one that I'm happy to put together again sometime next year when blueberries are plentiful! Although I did leave out the fresh berries this time, true to the season I added a similar measure of dried cranberries, & we thought that worked out quite well! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Gimme 5 tag]
Great main meal salad. I wasn't sure how it would come together, such a unique blend of ingredients. however, it turned out wonderful, sweet and savory and crunchy and soft. a wonderful blend of textures and flavors. I did make it with romaine instead of spinach, since my family prefers it and I had it on hand. Love love love the crunchy pecan syrup thing, that was a wonderful touch. I absolutely loved the flavor of the chicken, I will be sure to use that blend of seasonings and marinade in other dishes as well. thanks for a unique and delish recipe!
This has a very interesting mix of flavors. I really didn't know what to expect but found it rather good. The maple and onion come together distinctly but harmoniously. I think next time I'll skip the blueberries it was a little more sweetness that just wasn't needed.