Recipe by Maya's Mama
A very popular middle eastern dish. Traditionally cooked rotisserie style, this method allows you to recreate the flavor and texture on a much more economical and smaller scale.
Top Review by Orange Walk girl
This was very delicious! Followed the recipe exactly with the exception of the yogurt. I avoid using any dairy. I can't imagine that it made any difference. It was great without it and my family loved it. This will be a regular dish in our house. Thank you so much for posting!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 lemon, Juiced (keep the rind)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the chicken breasts, into long, slim strips, then into lengths that are about an inch long.
- Put them into a bowl, and allow them to marinate in the lemon juice and rind, olive oil, crushed and diced garlic, yoghurt, tomato paste, salt, pepper and spices.
- Allow 24 hours for the flavors to develop. [ i know it seems like a long wait, but it'll be worth it].
- The following day, remove and drain the chicken pieces from the marinade, and saute them for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot as a mezze or for sandwiches along with thinly sliced onions, deseeded tomato, pickles, and fresh baked pita.