Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is delicious! I am not an experienced cook by any means, but this was easy! I initially got the idea from a soup recipe, but changed the wonton ingredients to suit and added to the soup. Great meal and feeds 4-6 people ... the only thing I had to go out and buy was the wonton wrappers and spring onion! It is surprisingly filling! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 32 wonton wrappers
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 150 g ground chicken
- 32 shrimp
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 5 cups water
- 6 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 spring onion
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 carrots
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder, adjust to taste
- 1 spring onion, very finely sliced to garnish
- Very finely slice the spring onion into long strips (about 6 cms long) and place in a bowl of ice cold water so they curl.
- Combine all the soup ingredients and simmer while you finish the wontons.
- Mix all the wonton filling ingredients together and place a teaspoon of filling in each wonton paper, along with one shrimp.
- Wet the edges of the wontons and fold upwards so it makes a little parcel.
- Place the completed wontons onto a large plate dusted with flour so they don't stick together.
- Complete all wonton's before starting to cook them.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
- When the water is rapidly boiling, place 6-8 of the wonton's in at a time to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and place the cooked wonton's into a bowl that you will serve the soup in (around 8 wontons each).
- Take the spring onion garnish out of the water and place a bit on top of the wonton's.
- Pour some of the soup over the top of the wonton's and serve.
This was fantastic, we loved the flavours. The wonton were a little fiddley to make but fun. I used Chicken Consomme' instead of the water & instant chicken stock. I also cut up the prawns (shrimp) and mixed them with the chicken mince. As there is only 2 of us - I froze the left overs wontons to use another night for a quick meal. DH tells me we don't have to buy Wonton Soup anymore because this one is better. Thanks MilliesMum for a great Recipe!