Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is super simple to make and you can tailor it to your own taste, making it cajun, using different veggies, or using different meat (would also be good with italian sausage, fish, or steak) You can also leave off the meat to make a delicious vegetarian dish.
- 2 -3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 15 large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 zucchini
- 4 whole fresh white mushrooms
- 1⁄3 of a yellow pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 red pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green onions or 1⁄4 cup scallion
- 1 -2 roma tomato, diced
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk (or any other milk you like)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 12 ounces whole wheat angel hair pasta
- Cut Chicken into bite-size chunks, clean shrimp and sprinkle both with cajun seasoning, pepper, garlic powder, and any other spices that you like on chicken (I used garlic powder, chipotle Mrs. Dash, a little creole seasoning, cracked peppercorns, and a dash of hot sauce). Saute chicken in skillet with just enough olive oil or cooking spray to keep it from sticking, set aside. Saute shrimp in a small amount of olive oil or butter, saute one side and then flip this is really quick so be careful not to overcook them or they will be gross. Cut up the zuccini in bitesize chunks/strips (like they do at the japanese restaurant), dice peppers into really small pieces, slice mushrooms, and saute all veggies in skillet with olive oil, spices and fresh garlic just until they are slightly tender, do not overcook them, they are better with a slight crunch (use a garlic press to get all the garlic and juice into the veggies). Set veggies aside. Go ahead and boil your noodles now. Now make the sauce, you can technically do all this simultaneously if you have enough skills, take a carton of heavy whipping cream and spices (italian seasoning, garlic powder, etc and pour into skillet and heat on low-medium stirring with a whisk, sprinkle in some grated Parmesan cheese or your favorite cheese (don't use much, maybe only like 1/4 cup at most). Make a quick rue using about 1/2 flour and cold water whisking really fast to get the lumps out. Pour the rue mixture along with about 1/2-1 cup of milk into the cream. Make it come to a slight boil to thicken up and then reheat the veggies/meat if they are cold and add the pasta, veggies, meat to the sauce and toss. Serve on a plate and top with the diced roma tomato, green onions, and a sprinkle of real bacon bits. DELICIOUS! It is really good reheated too, just pour some extra milk in the container before you put it in the fridge to keep it from drying out.
- This is great served with a side salad, breadsticks or garlic toats, and wine.
I generally followed the recipe, but left out a lot of ingredients just because they weren't on hand, and it was still great! Had no peppers,mushrooms,tomato, or chicken. Used zucchini, yellow squash and doubled the amount of shrimp(frozen.) I used a veggie rotini pasta. And I've never made a roux before without heating w/ butter, so thanks for the new way to make white sauce.