Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Taken from the "Wonderful Ways to Prepare Chicken" cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken meat
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 lb tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups broth
- 1⁄2 lb zucchini, sliced and cooked
- 1 lb shrimp, cooked
- cooked rice, hot
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan until crispy.
- Remove and break into small bits.
- Saute the garlic, red pepper and onions in the bacon fat for two minutes.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Stir in the tomatoes and chicken stock and cook, stirring constantly, for five minutes.
- Add zucchini and chicken and cook for five minutes.
- Peel and devein the shrimp.
- If shrimp are large, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Add to the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a scoop of rice in each soup bowl and pour soup over the rice.