Recipe by Southern Polar Bear
This is one of my family's favorite meals. It takes a little work, but it is well worth the effort! I love the deep fry taste, but will often make it using "Shake 'N Bake" instead of the tempura to make it more healthy.
- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved
- 3⁄4 lb shrimp
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion, tops included
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- remoulade sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/4" thickness between two sheets of waxed paper.
- Poach shrimp in boiling water with garlic, bay leaf, and peppercorns for 2 minutes.
- Shell, devein, and chop cooked shrimp.
- Combine with butter, onion, bread crumbs and salt.
- Divide the shrimp mixture into 6 equal parts and spoon into the center of the chicken breasts, leaving 1/4" on all sides.
- Roll and fasten with toothpicks to secure.
- Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees in a deep fryer.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, water and salt.
- Dip the chicken rolls in the batter and fry for 10 minutes, turning often.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Remove toothpicks from chicken rolls.
- Serve with Remoulade Sauce.