Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A yummy cajun classic,spice it up or keep it mild by adding or deleting the hot sauce or use hot sausage instead of mild.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces sausage (hot or mild)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot red pepper sauce
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion to skillet and cook until onion is lightly browned, about 5 minute.
- Add sausage to onion and cook until browned.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in rice, chicken broth, artichoke hearts, tomato sauce and red-pepper sauce.
- Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to low.
- Cover and cook 17 min., stir occasionally.
- Add shrimp and chicken.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are opaque and curled.
Fantastic flavor and easy to prepare! We used turkey sausage instead of pork for a lower calorie meal, and then added about 2 teaspoons of ground cayenne pepper. Wonderful heat and taste!