1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is my adaption of a New Orleans classic. This is made without a heavy roux which makes it a little healthier.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- cajun seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb okra, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped fine
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled, chopped fine
- 2 celery ribs, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch dice
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 green onions, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 -6 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard or 1 tablespoon creole mustard
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
- salt and pepper
- hot cooked rice
- green onion top, minced
- 1Place the shrimp in a bowl and generously season with Cajun seasoning; place the shrimp in refrigerator until ready to use.
- 2In a large pot, warm the oil and then saute the okra for 15 to 20 minutes; add the diced chicken and cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3Add chopped tomato, yellow onion, celery, bell pepper, Ro-Tel tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste, green onions, bay leaf and white vinegar; simmer the mixture for 20 minutes, add 1 quart of the chicken stock, and clam juice.
- 4Season with salt and pepper to taste, add cayenne pepper, paprika, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; cook uncovered for 30 minutes adding additional stock if needed for desired consistency.
- 5Add shrimp and cook until no longer pink, stir in fresh parsley and Kitchen Bouquet; adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Ladle the gumbo into bowls and place a scoop of cooked rice in the middle, garnish with green onion tops and enjoy with fresh baked French Bread.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Shrimp and Okra Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (478 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 355.1
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 145.2 mg
- Sodium 899.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 33.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: