Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from a recipe in a magazine. Add more chicken, shrimp, and ham to suit your personal taste. The Pico De Gallo is optional. However, I really like the addition of this ingredient. Instead of the diced tomatoes and hot sauce, substitute a 10 ounce can of Ro*Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies. The Ro*Tel really gives it a nice kick.
- 453.59 g shrimp, medium sized raw
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 0.59 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 0.59 ml ground red pepper
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 283.49 g ham, smoked cubed, I use Carolina Pride
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 473.18 ml yellow onions, chopped
- 473.18 ml celery ribs, chopped
- 236.59 ml green bell pepper, chopped
- 118.29 ml red bell pepper, chopped
- 118.29 ml yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 709.77 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes
- 118.29 ml green onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 473.18 ml long-grain rice, uncooked
- 4.92 ml hot sauce
- 453.59 g pico de gallo (fresh finely diced tomatoes, yellow onions, cilantro, green onion, jalapeno, lime juice, & salt) (optional)
- Peel and de-vein shrimp (I cannot imagine eating them without de-veining).
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt, black pepper, and red pepper.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add chicken, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Remove chicken using a slotted spoon.
- Add ham to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove ham using a slotted spoon.
- Add garlic and next 3 ingredients to Dutch oven; stir to loosen particles from bottom.
- Stir in ham and chicken.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and next 3 ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add Pico de Gallo.
- Stir in shrimp and hot sauce; cook, covered, 10 more minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.