1/1 Photo of Chicken, Shrimp, and Ham Jambalaya
1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe in a magazine. Add more chicken, shrimp, and ham to suit your personal taste. The Pico De Gallo is optional. However, I really like the addition of this ingredient. Instead of the diced tomatoes and hot sauce, substitute a 10 ounce can of Ro*Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies. The Ro*Tel really gives it a nice kick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb shrimp, medium sized raw
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 ounces ham, smoked cubed, I use Carolina Pride
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 16 ounces pico de gallo (fresh finely diced tomatoes, yellow onions, cilantro, green onion, jalapeno, lime juice, & salt) (optional)
- 1Peel and de-vein shrimp (I cannot imagine eating them without de-veining).
- 2Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt, black pepper, and red pepper.
- 3Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 4Add chicken, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- 5Remove chicken using a slotted spoon.
- 6Add ham to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 7Remove ham using a slotted spoon.
- 8Add garlic and next 3 ingredients to Dutch oven; stir to loosen particles from bottom.
- 9Stir in ham and chicken.
- 10Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 11Add chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 12Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- 13Add tomatoes and next 3 ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 14Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes.
- 15Add Pico de Gallo.
- 16Stir in shrimp and hot sauce; cook, covered, 10 more minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Browse Our Top Low Sat. Fat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Sat. Fat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Shrimp, and Ham Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (451 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 416.6
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 137.1 mg
- Sodium 980.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 33.5 g