Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I started making this recipe when my kids were little. Now that they are teenagers I have to double it so they get enough. Feel free to switch around the herbs in the shortcake to vary the flavor if you wish.
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 8 ounces cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, thyme, parsley and sage in bowl. Add milk and oil; mix just until combined.
- Transfer dough to sprayed cookie sheet; pat into a 7 inch circle about 1/2 inch thick. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile in skillet cook mushrooms and onion, stirring frequently 4-5 minutes, until vegetables are golden and cooked through.
- In small bowl, with whisk, combine broth, lemon juice and cornstarch, blending to dissolve cornstarch; stir into vegetable mixture.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer stirring constantly for 1 minute, until slightly thickened.
- Stir in chicken, sour cream, salt and pepper; simmer, stirring constantly, 2 minutes longer.
- Just before serving cut shortcake into 4 pieces. Top with chicken mixture.
This is so good! We love the flavor combos and its a quick easy meal to put together! I did add another 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch because it seemed a little too thin, but other then that, didn't change a thing! Thanks for sharing your recipe~ I'll be making this again! :) Made for PAC Fall 08