1/1 Photo of Chicken Shepherd's Pie
1 hr 20 mins
I found this recipe online at Aileen's Amazing Recipe's. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounded so good that I just had to post it here for safe keeping. I figured I'd share it for all of you as well :) Let me know what you think!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 carrots, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 lb red potatoes, quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large celery ribs, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken (the meat from a 3-pound chicken)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, minced
- 1For the Filling:
- 2In a saucepan bring the broth to a boil, add the carrots, the potatoes, and the celery, and simmer the vegetables, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are tender.
- 3Transfer the vegetables with a slotted spoon to a large bowl, reserving the broth, and add the chicken to the bowl.
- 4In another saucepan cook the onion in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until it is softened, add the flour, and cook the roux, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- 5Add 3 cups of the reserved broth in a stream, whisking, reserving any remaining broth for another use, and bring the mixture to a boil, whisking.
- 6Add the thyme and simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 7Stir in the nutmeg, the parsley, and salt and pepper to taste, pour the sauce over the chicken mixture, and stir the mixture gently until it is just combined.
- 8Transfer the mixture to a 2-quart shallow baking dish or divide it among four 2-cup shallow baking dishes.
- 9The filling may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.
- 10Bring the mixture to room temperature before continuing with the recipe.
- 11Biscuit crust:
- 12Into a bowl sift together the flour, the baking powder, the baking soda, and the salt, add the butter and the shortening, and blend the mixture until it resembles meal.
- 13Add the Cheddar and toss the mixture.
- 14Into a liquid measuring cup break the egg, add enough of the buttermilk to measure a total of 1/2 cup, and beat the mixture with a fork.
- 15Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until the mixture just forms a dough, gather the dough into a ball, and on a floured surface pat it out 1/2 inch thick.
- 16Cut out as many rounds as possible with a 2-inch fluted round cutter dipped in flour, gathering the scraps and patting the dough out again in the same manner.
- 17Arrange the rounds on the chicken mixture, brush the tops of the rounds with the egg wash, and prick the rounds with a fork.
- 18Bake the pie in the middle of a preheated 450°F oven for 15 to 25 minutes, or until the biscuits are puffed and golden and the filling is bubbling.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 558.4
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 127.9 mg
- Sodium 1182.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 24.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: