Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "The Best Freezer Cookbook".
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- In a large, deep ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes. Break up the meat with a fork as it cooks.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add stock gradually, increase heat a bit and cook, stirring until thickened.
- Stir in frozen vegetables, ketchup, Worcestershire, sage and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While meat simmers, place mashed potatoes in a large bowl and beat in cream cheese and egg. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the potatoes over the chicken mixture.
- Place pan in bottom third of oven and broil for 7-8 minutes until potatoes are heated through and golden brown.
- To freeze: Place meat mixture in a casserole and top with potatoes. Allow to cool then wrap well with plastic wrap and then foil. Label and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: Thaw in fridge or microwave. Preheat oven to 350°F; unwrap and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through. Broil briefly to brown the top if desired.
This was pretty good, although we would prefer the taste without the ketchup. I also had to bake for practially 35 minutes at 375 to heat through the casserole. Otherwise, solid recipe. I subbed non-fat sour cream for the cream cheese in the potatoes.