Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I can't believe this recipe isn't already posted. But maybe it's so simple, people do it without thinking about it. At our house, this is one of our favorite things to do with leftover chicken.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Cook potatoes until tender. Drain and mash. If desired, whip with butter and milk.
- Spread about half the potatoes in a round 2 litre casserole.
- Mix chicken, soup and vegetables. Spread over potato layer.
- Top with remaining potatoes.
- Bake at 350 until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- We like all things cheesy, so I usually put one cup grated cheese on top of the chicken layer, before the top layer of potatoes.
- You can substitute an equal amount of chicken gravy for the soup.
- This reheats very well in the microwave. In fact, sometimes I assemble it and put it in the fridge for the next night. Then I don't bother putting it in the oven at all, I just scoop out bowls full and zap them.
From your son, I've got it in my cookbook!
Good but a little bland. Will try to spice it up next time.
This is really easy and tasty. I have tried many different Shepherds Pie recipes with limited positive feedback from my family. They really liked this one! I had never thought of using chicken before. :-) I strained the broth from leftover vegetable soup and used those vegetables instead of frozen. I browned a couple chicken breasts with some garlic for the chicken and used my leftover mashed potatoes. Very yummy! Thank-you!