Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are delicious and addicting. You can also use beef or lamb in place of the chicken. I usually will make my own tahini (See Heavenly Hummus.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken (thighs or breasts, thinly cut)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 lemon, juice of
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 8 small pita bread, whole or 4 large pita breads, halved
- thinly slice cucumber
- thinly sliced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sumac
- thinly sliced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- pickle, slices (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except for chicken, fillings, and sauce ingredients to make marinade. If it seems a little dry, add a little olive oil (a tablespoon at a time).
- Add chicken, cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours, preferable overnight.
- In a stockpot or large saucepan, cook chicken over medium heat for 45 minutes or until done. Be sure not to overcook! If chicken becomes a little dry, add a few tablespoons of water throughout cooking duration.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce. Combine sauce ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Take the onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and sprinkle with sumac. Add any other filling ingredients in a large bowl and combine well.
- When the chicken is done, you can shred it, slice it, or leave into large pieces. Just make sure it is thinly cut.
- Spread each half pita with hummus.
- Place enough chicken on pita that cover 1/4 of the loaf.
- Add veggies and pour on sauce.
- Roll like a soft taco or burrito and you have shawarma!
- You can also stuff the pocket of the pita if you prefer. I prefer to roll large pitas and stuff the smaller ones.
- ****Cooking time does not include refrigerating overnight****.
I used chicken tenders and had to skip the cardamom because I didn't have any and it is about 10 bucks a bottle. It was still good w/o it! I was really worried at first because when I took the chicken out of the bag it was marinating in, it smelled horrible (mostly b/c of the vinegar)! But once it started cooking, it smelled great and turned out wonderfully. The marinade made a tasty coating on the chicken. I didn't cut the tenders before cooking them, and they only cooked for about 15 minutes on medium heat before they were done (flipped halfway through). I used roasted garlic hummus instead of the sauce. I topped the wraps (I used tortillas) with chopped red onion, sliced cucumbers, halved grape tomatoes, and feta cheese. It was so yummy!
I quadrupled the recipe and made this for a Middle Eastern themed party, and it was a huge hit! Almost everyone asked for the recipe, and there was none left. I made my own tahini, and the sauce was amazing. It looked like someone had licked the bowl clean! Thanks!
The recipe is not written in a good way and the proportions seem to be totally out of place.<br/><br/>1 cup of Tahini with 2 tbsp of yoghurt does not make a sauce, it is concrete!<br/>You definitely don't need 45 minutes to cook a chicken that has been marinated and in thin cuts. it takes more like 5-10 min.