My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken (thighs or breasts, thinly cut)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 lemon, juice of
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1Combine all ingredients except for chicken, fillings, and sauce ingredients to make marinade. If it seems a little dry, add a little olive oil (a tablespoon at a time).
- 2Add chicken, cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours, preferable overnight.
- 3In a stockpot or large saucepan, cook chicken over medium heat for 45 minutes or until done. Be sure not to overcook! If chicken becomes a little dry, add a few tablespoons of water throughout cooking duration.
- 4While chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce. Combine sauce ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- 5Take the onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and sprinkle with sumac. Add any other filling ingredients in a large bowl and combine well.
- 6When the chicken is done, you can shred it, slice it, or leave into large pieces. Just make sure it is thinly cut.
- 7Spread each half pita with hummus.
- 8Place enough chicken on pita that cover 1/4 of the loaf.
- 9Add veggies and pour on sauce.
- 10Roll like a soft taco or burrito and you have shawarma!
- 11You can also stuff the pocket of the pita if you prefer. I prefer to roll large pitas and stuff the smaller ones.
- 12****Cooking time does not include refrigerating overnight****.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Shawarma Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 721.7
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 107.9 mg
- Sodium 738.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 57.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: