PSU Lioness's Note:
Want to cook with Chinese flavors, but not sure which flavorings you really need? Start with soy sauce and toasted sesame oil - they're the most frequently called for ingredients in a range of Chinese-style dishes, like this simple stir-fry. Toasted sesame oil lends a delightful, unmistakable Chinese flavor but must be used sparingly. Store it in the refrigerator to preserve freshness. (From Betty Crocker's "Money Saving Meals" cookbook).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 lb chicken breast tenders, uncooked and cut in half lengthwise (unbreaded)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen bell peppers, and onion stir-fry mix thawed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1In a 1 quart saucepan, heat 2/3 c of the water and the salt to boiling over high heat.
- 2Stir in the rice and reduce the heat to Low.
- 3Cover; simmer about 10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with fork.
- 4Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir remaining 1/3 c water, soy sauce, lemon juice, cornstarch and sesame oil; set aside.
- 5Heat non stick wok or 10" skillet over Medium-High heat.
- 6Add canola oil; rotate wok to coat sides.
- 7Add chicken; cook and stir 2-3 minutes.
- 8Add stir-fry vegetables; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 9Sir soy sauce mixture into chicken mixture; heat to boiling.
- 10Cook and stir until sauce is thickened.
- 11Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Sesame Stir-Fry
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 295.2
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 752.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 27.8 g