Recipe by Coasty
This is an Indonesian chicken dish - I got the recipe from a cook at a roadside cafe in central Java. While some of the ingredients may be hard to find ie the ketup manis & palm sugar it is worth the effort.
Top Review by Chocolatl
A delightfully unusual dish. This is a perfect blend of sweet and spicy flavors. The pepper gave it more heat than I expected; next time I may cut back a little. Thanks so much for posting! Made for ZWT6.
- 1 kg chicken piece (thigh & drumsticks are best)
- 1 brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cm piece gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 250 g tomatoes, sliced into thin wedges
- 1⁄4 cup sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar (gula jawa)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince the onion, peeled garlic and ginger and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or fry pan and brown chicken pieces, set aside.
- Drain off the oil leaving about 1 tbsp in the wok adding the minced onion mix and saute about 10 mins making sure it does not brown.
- Add the nutmeg and pepper with the tomatoes, and saute a further 10 mins until the tomatoes start to break down.
- Add the chicken pieces, ketup manis and palm sugar and salt to taste. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours (this will depend on the size of the chicken pieces).
- Add the coconut milk and bring back to heat. Don't put the lid back on or the coconut milk will curdle.
- Service with plain steam rice.