Recipe by Baz
From the excellent Australian Women's Weekly cookbook series. I've tried a number of different paella recipes but keeping coming back to this one, so thought I'd better post it. If some of the seafood is unavailable you can substitute others like clams or scallops - as long as there's about a kilogram. Remember, the rice is meant to form a crunchy,burnt crust on the bottom (its a delicacy and called "socarrat") so when stirring, try not to disturb it.
- 250 g mussels
- 250 g medium uncooked prawns
- 250 g firm white fish fillets
- 250 g squid rings
- 4 chicken wings (or 1 chicken breast or 2 thighs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages, thinly sliced (310g)
- 2 cups arborio rice (or white long grain rice)
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon yellow food coloring (or pinch of saffron, crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 3 medium roma tomatoes, chopped (or 400g tin of diced tomatoes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub mussles, remove beards. Shell and devein prawns, leaving heads and tails intact. Remove and discard wing tips from chicken and cut each wing into pieces at each joint (or cut breast/thighs into bite size pieces).
- Heat oil in large paella pan or wok and cook sausages until lightly browned. Drain on absorbent paper. Add chicken to pan, cook until browned and tender. Remove from pan.
- Add rice, garlic, spring onions and peppers to the pan and stir. Stir in saffron, paprika and tomato paste. Add wine, cook, stirring, until it wine is nearly absorbed.
- Add 1 cup of stock, cook, stirring, until liquid is nearly absorbed. Add remaining stock, cook, stirring, until stock boils.
- Cover with a lid or foil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add mussels, prawns, peas, tomatoes, fish and calamari, and cook, covered, over low heat until stock is absorbed, rice is cooked and mussels are open.
- Add chicken and sausages, stir through gently, until heated through.