Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A northerners attempt at good gumbo soup. Uses chicken, shrimp, crawfish and andouille sausage. Easy to make, basically dump and go. I make it in a 12 quart roaster oven. Can easily make smaller amounts by division.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs cooked chicken, pieces. (About 1/2 inch)
- 1 lb frozen shrimp
- 1 lb frozen crawfish tail meat
- 2 lbs andouille sausages
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 64 ounces canned stewed tomatoes (Ro-tel brand best)
- 40 ounces frozen okra
- 32 ounces frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 4 -6 bay leaves
- 1 lb uncooked rice (Brown)
- 3 cups water
- 4 tablespoons chicken base (to taste)
- Add all ingredients, except chicken base, to 12 quart pot.
- Heat and stir occasionally until rice is cooked through.
- Add chicken base as desired for flavor.
- Remove bay leaves when done.
- Serve with bread, croutons or crackers.
- Crawfish can be omitted if unavailable.