1/1 Photo of Chicken Schnitzel With Warm Potato Salad
Wolfgang Puck says about his weinerschnitzel: "This is a recipe from my childhood, an Austrian classic. It’s one of the most popular dishes at Spago where we serve it with mache, frisée, balsamic vinegar and pumpkinseed oil. But for me, it’s perfect with just a fingerling potato salad." He modified his weinerschnitzel to chicken for the People Magazine article 'Dinner for 4 under $10", which was published February 22, 2010. Cook/prep time does not include rest time for potatoes. This would pair nicely with an Austrian riesling. Taken from People magazine and posted for ZWT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped in 1/4 inch dice)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leave
- 4 (6 ounce) chicken cutlets
- salt and pepper
- flour, for dusting
- 2 eggs (plus 2 tablespoons water, beaten, for egg wash)
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs, processed into fine crumbs (or fresh dried white breadcrumbs)
- peanut oil (for frying)
- 1Potato Salad:.
- 2Prepare the marinade; in a bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- 3Whisk until well blended; set aside.
- 4In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, garlic, thyme and salt.
- 5Cover with enough water and bring to a boil.
- 6Lower to a simmer and cook about 8 minutes, or until just done. (Do not overcook).
- 7Strain and allow to cool at room temperature.
- 8Slice into 1/4-inch-thick round slices.
- 9Add to the reserved marinade for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- 10Preheat oil to 375 degrees F in a heavy, deep saucepan.
- 11To prepare schnitzel:
- 12Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper.
- 13Dredge in flour; dip in egg wash.
- 14Coat with panko or breadcrumbs.
- 15Deep fry about 3 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- 16Place one cutlet on each of four dinner plates.
- 17Garnish with lemon sections.
- 18In a sauté pan over high heat, warm the marinated potatoes for about 30 seconds.
- 19Divide onto the four prepared plates.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Schnitzel With Warm Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 795.8
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 201.8 mg
- Sodium 4987.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 52.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar