1/6 Photos of Chicken Scarpariello (Roast Chicken in Lemon&wine)
Posted for ZWT 2006 (Italian region), this is a light (as in not going to feel heavy on your stomach but full flavored roast chicken dish in a heavenly white wine/lemon/rosemary sauce. Don't let the long direction list throw you; it's not difficult at all. I make NO claims in this recipe that it is light in fat or low cal; make it knowing that please.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) roasting chickens, Cut Into Pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, Peeled & Sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (about 2 tbsps.) or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Mix together the flour and oregano, and season with salt and pepper.
- 3Rinse and dry the chicken pieces, and then dredge them lightly in the seaoned flour mixture.
- 4In a heavy, ovenproof skillet, large enough to hold all of the chicken pieces, heat the olive oil, and then brown the chicken well on all sides over medium heat; be careful not to burn the oil by using too hot of a heat.
- 5Once all of the pieces are well browned, remove them to a plate.
- 6Pour out the left over oil in the pan, leaving just a tablespoon or two with the browned bits at the bottom; add the onion and cook until soft, and then add the garlic.
- 7As soon as the garlic begins to sizzle, add the wine, and stir the browned bits at the bottom while you reduce the wine by half over medium high heat.
- 8Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Break up the rosemary into pieces, and add it to the sauce.
- 9Return the chicken pieces to the skillet, and spoon the sauce over top; bake the chicken until done, about 20 minutes.
- 10Remove the chicken to a warmed platter, and bring the remaining sauce to a boil; add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Mix the tablespoon of flour with 1 tablespoon of softened butter; add the remaining butter to the sauce in the skillet, and mix well.
- 12Remove the rosemary pieces from the sauce; if the sauce is thin, stir in a little of the flour and butter mixture, whisking continuously to prevent lumps; once the sauce has thickened, add the chopped parsley, and pour the sauce over the chicken on the platter. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Scarpariello (Roast Chicken in Lemon&wine)
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 761.5
- Calories from Fat 467
- Total Fat 51.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 156.5 mg
- Sodium 318.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 36.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: