Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
"Fuggeddaboutit!" A favorite dish of the wiseguys. Make this for dinner and, ba-da-bing, you're ready for an evening with the Sopranos. This is one of my all-time favorite Italian-American chicken recipes. Be sure to serve some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into small serving pieces
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cut in 1-inch pieces (sweet or hot or both)
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and crushed
- 6 hot cherry peppers, sliced (bottled in vinegar)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1 cup chicken broth (canned or fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (such as Pinot Grigio)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 3⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- In a skillet, heat oil. Add chicken and sausage in batches; brown on all sides. removing pieces to a plate as they brown.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pan. To hot drippings, add the mushrooms, red bell peppers, sliced cherry peppers, onion, potatoes, and garlic; saute until tender.
- Return chicken and sausage to skillet. Add salt, black pepper, the rosemary , the broth, the wine, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer, covered, until chicken is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken and sausage from skillet; arrange on warm serving platter.
- Skim fat from mixture in skillet.
- In a small glass measure, mix flour with 1/4 cup water until blended. Stir into liquid in skillet. bring to boiling, stirring constantly; boil for 1 minute, stirring, until mixture thickens.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and sausage.
First I would like to say that my fiance took the initiative to make this recipe. This came out so delicious I can't express in words. The picture is leftovers because I didn't stop myself in time to take a picture of the freshly made meal. Although, he did alter a bit by not adding mushrooms and maybe another ingredient but all in all it was the recipe exact. Happy cooking and eating :-)
I really really like this as did my hubby. Nice kick to it. I also used Red potato instead of bakng potato
Love the flavors! Tweaked it to what i had on hand- boneless chix beeast and some fingerling red and white potatoes cut to bite sized. I did not add the thickening as I let it sit at simmer for longer and it reduced nicely but left enough for sopping up with crusty bread. Kids loved it, too!