Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Italian chicken dish posted off the internet as a recipe request. Make the vinagared peppers 2 weeks before. It looks yummy. Someone comment on it if you try this one please.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 lb sausage, a combo of hot and sweet,cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into 12 small pieces,bone in
- 2 large bell peppers, red,green or yellow,cored,seeded,and cut,lengthwise,into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 large yellow onion, cut,lengthwise,into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup halved vinegared, hot cherry pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vinegared sweet bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar (from Vinegared Sweet Bell Peppers)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
Vinegared Hot Cherry or Sweet Bell Peppers
- 1 lb hot cherry peppers or 1 1⁄2 lbs red bell peppers or 1 1⁄2 lbs yellow bell peppers
- 6 pickling onions
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- Heat oil in a large deep saute pan over medium high heat.
- Saute sausage for about 8 minutes until lightly browned.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove them and set aside.
- Reheat oil, pat chicken dry and saute chicken for about 15 minutes until cooked through.
- Stir in bell peppers, onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft and beginning to brown.
- Drain off all excess oil and return sausage to pan.
- Add wine and chicken stock to chicken, sausage and vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Stir in Hot and Sweet Vinegared Peppers, vinegar, oregano, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until flavors have all combined and sauce has reduced.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- To make Vinegared Hot Cherry or Sweet Bell Peppers-------------.
- Wash and dry peppers.
- Leave cherry peppers whole with stems attached.
- Core, quarter and seed bell peppers.
- Remove all membrane and cut into 1/2 inch thick strips.
- Set aside.
- Peel onions and cut an x into both ends.
- Add to the peppers.
- Fill a 1-quart canning jar with boiling water and let stand for 1 minute.
- Drain water and immediately pack cherry or bell peppers and onions in the jar, sprinkling with salt as you pack.
- Pour vinegar over peppers and add water, if needed, to cover peppers completely.
- Tightly seal jar and shake well to mix.
- Place in a cool dark place to marinate for at least two weeks before using.