Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe begins with skinned, boned, and pounded chicken pieces—but finishes quite differently with a rich, creamy sauce flavored with brandy. (Suggested wine; dry blend white with Sauvignon Blanc)
- 2 whole chicken breasts, split (about 1 lb. each) or 8 chicken thighs (2 to 2 1/2 lbs total)
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter or 2 -4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- Skin, bone, chicken; 2 whole chicken breasts (about 1 lb. each), split; or 8 chicken thighs (2 to 2 1/2 lbs total), or half of each; discard skin and bones, then rinse meat and pat dry. Place chicken pieces 5 to 6 inches apart on a sheet of plastic wrap; tuck any scraps of meat under larger pieces. Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap. Pound meat firmly with a flat surfaced mallet (do not hit hard enough to break meat apart) until each piece is evenly 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle chicken LIGHTLY with herbs such as (dry basil, dill weed, rubbed dry sage, dry oregano leaves, dry marjoram leaves, or seasoned pepper. In a 10 to 12 inch frying pan, melt just enough butter to coat bottom of pan over high heat. Add chicken, a portion at a time, without crowding; cook just until lightly browned, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Add more butter to pan as needed.
- When all meat has been cooked, return it to frying pan and add brandy; carefully ignite with a match (be sure pan is not beneath a vent, fan, or flammable items). Shake pan until flames die.
- Remove pan from heat; quickly lift meat from juices and keep warm in a serving dish.
- Return pan to high heat and add cream. Stir to scrape browned bits free; boil until large, shiny bubbles form, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain any accumulated juices from chicken into sauce; stir to blend, then pour over chicken. Season to taste with salt.
- Serves 3 to 4.
- CHICKEN WITH LEMON MUSTARD SAUCE: Follow directions for Chicken Scaloppine with Brandy Cream, but use 2 tablespoons lemon juice instead of brandy. Add 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard along with the cream.
- DUTCH CHICKEN: Follow directions for Chicken Scaloppine with Brandy Cream, but use 2 tablespoons Scotch whiskey (flame as directed) instead of brandy. Add 2 Tablespoons minced shallots or onion along with the cream.
- CHICKEN SAUTE WITH MADEIRA: Follow directions for Chicken Scaloppine with Brandy Cream, but use 3 Tablespoons Madeira, port, or dry sherry instead of brandy (these liquors may not flame).
- CHICKEN PIQUANT: Follow directions for chicken Scaloppine with Brandy Cream, but use 2 tablespoons lemon juice instead of brandy. Omit cream. Place chicken and pan juices in a serving dish and garnish with 6 to 8 canned rolled anchovy fillets with capers.
- The Best of Sunset.
I appreciate you included some variations.